Friday, July 4, 2014

Low country boil

A friend posted pics on Facebook of a giant low country boil she did for friends in Reno. I had seen it mentioned recently, and thought I should make one. Her pics were the motivation I needed!

My girl and I had decided to spend the day at home for Independence Day. So this regional American dish was our dinner. 

I read a couple recipes, and this is what I ended up with, for two people:

8 small red potatoes
2 smoked sausages, cut into 1" pieces
2 ears corn, broken in half
3/4 lb 16/20 shrimp, raw and in the shell
Water and Old Bay seasoning

Fill a large pot with water and add Old Bay to taste. One recipe I read said 2t per quart of water. I just eyeballed it. Bring water to a boil. When boiling, add potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes. Add sausage and corn, and cook another 5 minutes. Add shrimp and remove from heat. Let sit until shrimp are done. Drain and eat!

We served it with butter and extra Old Bay. You could also serve with a crusty bread.



I was also looking for main dish salad recipes today for a potluck at church. I found a low country boil salad recipe that I think will do. I'll try to remember to post it later this weekend, once I make it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment