Monday, March 30, 2020

French toast casserole for two

My kid put a loaf of bread in the wrong cupboard, so I thought I should buy more last Thursday on my way home from my last day of work. Saturday I was looking somewhere else, and found a rogue loaf of bread. Now I had 2.5 loaves of bread. So I thought about what all I could make, trolled Pinterest, and found several French toast casserole recipes that used regular sandwich bread instead of Texas toast, French, challah, etc. but there are only two of us, so I wanted something smaller. So I tinkered with my favorite parts of what I found, cut everything in half, and came up with this. 




French Toast Casserole

6 slices sandwich bread
2T butter
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
2 T sugar
2 drops doTerra Wild orange oil
¾ t vanilla
½ t cinnamon
⅛ t salt
2 t cinnamon sugar, divided

Melt butter in 8.5 x 6.5 pan in 400° oven and remove. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.

Mix eggs, milk, sugar, orange oil, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.

Cut 2 slices of bread in half. Place 2 whole slices and 2 half slices of bread in pan. Drizzle ½ cup of egg mixture slowly over bread, allowing it to soak in, paying attention to crusty edges. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place remaining bread on top, and drizzle remaining egg mixture over. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Tilt pan gently to allow any pooled egg to soak in. Let rest on counter 10 min. 




Bake in 400° oven until egg is set and casserole is puffed, about 20 min. Let cool 10 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment