Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge book review, part 1

As I mentioned, I have joined a couple regency-themed reading challenges through austenprose.com. This one is to commemorate the 200 year anniversary of "Pride and Prejudice."

I only recently read "Pride and Prejudice" for the first time. And then I started collecting sequels and variations. At the end of this challenge I may reread "Pride and Prejudice," but for now, I will work on the reviews of other books.

This review is of the book "Georgiana Darcy's Diary" by Anna Elliott. It is written in diary format, starting when Georgiana is 18. It chronicles her Aunt de Bough trying to foist her off to eligible bachelors, and her feeling toward her cousin, Edward Fitzwilliam.

It was a nice read. Being diary form, we were only aware of Georgiana's thoughts and feelings, and how she perceived Edward's actions. It opens at the initial defeat of Napoleon, and Georgiana is hoping Edward is alive and well, although she has not heard from him since he left Pemberley over a year ago.

He does arrive home, but seems a little unlike himself after experiencing the horrors of war. After much trial and tribulation, they finally come to an understanding and a potential HEA. That is where the book ends. Their story continues in "Pemberley to Waterloo: Georgiana Darcy's Diary, Volume 2." And that, my friends, is a review for a different day!

I enjoyed this book, though my diary entries are never as interesting! There was a matchmaking aunt (though her interests were more dynastic than emotional), caring family, an assortment of eligible bachelors, and misinformation. I would give it 4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment