Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Steak and potatoes...

I remembered to take a picture of my dinner...when it was gone :( Oh, well! I made a dinner from a Food Network show called 10 Dollar Dinners. The entree was "French cut steak." it called for a skirt steak, but my store didn't have any, so I used a flat iron steak, which a reviewer on the recipe had success with. Rub the steak (cut into individual steaks)with a combo of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper; let it rest while you do the next step. Caramelize a sliced sweet onion and remove from pan. Wipe out the pan, then cook the steaks to your liking (medium rare is the yummiest) and remove to cutting board to rest. Add some white wine and red wine vinegar to the pan and scrape up bits, reduce by half. Add onions and beef broth and reduce again. Stir in a bit of butter to thicken.

Our side was muffin pan potato gratins from Everyday Food magazine. Slice potatoes, then layer into buttered muffin cups with salt and pepper (go easy). Then pour over a tablespoon cream in each cup. Bake at 400* for about 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. I found the tops to be a tiny bit dry, but overall, it was yum.

And, as those tasty dishes were coming to completion, I realized my green beans were still in the freezer. So I will save them for another meal :)

1 comment:

  1. I forgot! Slice the steak against the grain to serve, and drizzle some onions and sauce over it. Did I mention yum! When I ask my daughter how the steak is and she says "Awesome!" I know I did something right :)

    ReplyDelete